I couldn’t wait any longer to install official Windows 10 (not the Insider version). So I forced it by this link. I chose clear installation (don’t forget to back up your important personal data). It took some time, but nothing terrible, just usual installation. After launching the new Windows, you still have the Windows.old file – it is a copy of your previous Windows system. It took up 40GB. So if you want to find out how to delete it, read this little tutorial. But again, beware of loosing your data!
- The first thing I downloaded was Skype. The icon after installation was only blank sheet and after system restart it looks terrible(maybe some of you remember the pixely Icon in Windows 8.1). See pic below.
- The second thing was Visual Studio, it is essential for my work. I rly enjoyed it. Downloading was fast, full installation as well(my convertible tablet has a SSD).
- And of course Office365 is important to me. Again, downloading and installing were surprisingly quick. After that I had some time to play with the new OS.
- I really appreciate tablet mode, larger text and icons whenever I want.
- Live tiles are very cool. I like them because I am used to them from Windows Phone. But if you don’t like them, just unpin them.
- Windows Phone users will like colours for icons and menus they are used to.
- You can set colour of panel adjusted to your wall paper. Looks cool but I prefer slightly transparent black.
- Resize and rotate your desktop is cool.
- Multiple virtual desktops. Heureka! Each desktop can have its own panel. So feel free to create panel for working and panel for fun. Just switch between them, so your boss cant see that you are actually not working :)) U can use 3D view and so on.
- Edge (maybe you remember code name Spartan) browser looks very neat. I will give it a chance before I download Chrome. Lucky me, I remember(unlike other users), most of my passwords, bcz there is no way to export/import login info into Edge from Chrome(I guess this is important battle in the war between MS and Google :-))) But I think MS Edge deserves article by itself. So no more about it in this article.
- My bluetooth keyboard is not working! I am using Acer Iconia convertible tablet. So if you have similar device and you don’t have spare keyboard or you just don’t want to be bothered by it, try to find on forums first, if it will work under Windows10 or you need to wait for updating drivers(as I do according others users). — 24th Aug this one is working now (I deleted already installed drivers, installed 3 times official drivers from Acer’s website and finally it worked!)
- Software keyboard time from time crashed… not cool. But you can move it, or pin it. You can choose between it always appearing when you tap some textbox or turning it on manually.
- My Roccat Kova[+] mouse – I created macros for quicker handling some things in Windows 8.1 and it is working on Windows 10 w/o installing special Roccat driver. Cool.
- I opened WordPress editor in browser and Visual Tab has no textbox to write in! Errors occur. Glad I can use HTML mode. And WordPress Publish or Save Draft is not working either. So I must admit, I published this article in Internet Explorer. Yes, you can still reach it. Passwords and so on are shared.
— 11th Aug this one is working now
- Login screen offers you pictures. If you don’t like them, just add some of your own.
- New shortcuts, especially about windows10 features like multiple screens, multiple desktops and so on.
- Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are finally working in Command Prompt 🙂 You can also find something in Command Prompt output by using Ctrl+F.
- New image viewer – you can improve your photos (colour, filters, saturation, light, …) and pictures, or add some text in it and share them immediately.
- MS Calc is improved A LOT!
- MS Paint didn’t changed at all. But is still more powerful than Adobe Photoshop 😀
- NotePad hasn´t changed as well. I would prefer something like NotePad++. Pretty please 🙂
la_femme_it 5th Aug 2015
Whenever I will find something interesting, I will add it here.
- Spell check! It adapts to your current keyboard language.
- I installed latest version of Matlab and it is working fine.
la_femme_it 11th Aug 2015